The Democratic presidential candidates are either ignorant of or are willfully supporting the harms of this definition of ‘gender identity’ in the proposed Equality Act (EA): “The term ‘gender identity’ means the gender-related identity, appearance, mannerisms, or other gender-related characteristics of an individual, regardless of the individual’s designated sex at birth.” This definition replaces the material reality of “sex” as a legal category, with a self-declared feeling and sex stereotype. It erases women as a legal sex-based category; it mandates that any male, at any time, who says he is a woman must be given access to women’s sex-segregated spaces. It eradicates women’s bodily privacy in homeless shelters, prisons, and locker rooms/showers. It obliterates women’s sports teams and scholarships, and women’s right to gather or organize without the presence of males. It opens the door to sterilizing children and enables the government to remove them from their parents’ custody if they do not ‘affirm’ their child’s self-diagnosed ‘trans identity.’ And much more.
Democrats are leaving the party in droves. When will the candidates listen?
What You Can Do:
Saturate the Democratic presidential candidates. Over the next couple of weeks, the Gender Critical Action Center will be tweeting at the candidates. Please follow us and retweet. If you can, tweet them on your own. If you are a Democrat, say so, and tell them that you are not in alignment with the sexist and homophobic “gender identity” agenda.
1. Ask your conscience and your constituents: Imagine: A school counselor says you must accept that your child was born in the wrong body because it likes dress of the opposite sex–or else have your child taken from you. All due to the EA’s erasure of “sex”.
2. Ask your conscience and your constituents: Do you really want to throw lesbians, gays and bi-sexuals under the bus by letting ‘gender identity’ squeeze LGB off their place on the civil rights stage? They have fought a hard and painful fight for it.
3. Ask your conscience and your constituents: Are sex-stereotypes a valid foundation for a law? Would you call your child born in the wrong body because he or she plays with toys of the opposite sex? This is what ‘gender identity’ in the EA will allow!
4. Ask your conscience and your constituents: Are sex-stereotypes and feelings a valid foundation for a law? This is what ‘gender identity’ in the Equality Act would establish!
5. Ask your conscience and your constituents: What if someone else told your child it was born in the wrong body because it plays with toys of the opposite sex and you, as parent, had to legally accept it? This is what ‘gender identity’ in the EA enables!
6. Ask your conscience and your constituents: What if a therapist told your child it was born in the wrong body because it likes dress of the opposite sex and you, the parent, had no say in it? This is what the ‘gender identity’ in the EA enables.
7. Sexual orientation and ‘gender identity’ are incompatible: Sexual orientation is same or opposite sex attraction. ‘Gender identity’ is denial of one’s sex. So, a man can deny his sex and declare himself a lesbian. Sexual orientation erased. Confusing, wrong? Yeah!
@TomSteyer, @CoryBooker, @KamalaHarris, @ewarren, @PeteButtigieg, @BetoORourke, @amyklobuchar, @JulianCastro, @GovBillWeld, @AndrewYang, @TimRyan, @JohnDelaney, @BernieSanders, @GovernorBullock, @JoeSestak, @MichaelBennet, @WayneMessam, @TulsiGabbard, @marwilliamson, @JoeBiden, @MarkSanford, @WalshFreedom, @DanaBashCNN, @andersoncooper, @ChrisCuomo, @donlemon, @NBCNews, @MSNBC, @ABC, @CBSNews, @FoxNews, @CNN, @CNBC, @nytimes, @WSJ, @USATODAY, @NewYorker, @latimes, @WashTimes, @washingtonpost, @Jezebel, @Independent, @DiscoverSoc, @IrishCentral, @mmfa, @JeanneCummings, @aaronzitner, @JaneMayerNYer, @fstonenyc, @LizaPluto
@officialtomsteyer, @corybooker, @KamalaHarris, @ElizabethWarren, @petebuttigieg1, @betoorourke, @amyklobuchar, @julianforthefuture, @GovBillWeld, @andrewyang2020, @timryanforamerica, @JohnKDelaneyJKD, @berniesanders, @GovernorBullock, @joesestak, @michaelbennet, @WayneForAmerica, @TulsiGabbard, @williamsonmarianne, @joebiden, @marksanford, @joewalsh, @NBCNews, @MSNBC, @ABCNetwork, @CBSNews, @FoxNews, @CNN, @CNBC, @nytimes, @wsj, @usatoday, @newyorker, @latimes, @TheWashingtonTimes, @washingtonpost, @Jezebel, @TheIndependentOnline, @discoversociety, @IrishCentral, @Mediamatters