The New York Times Feb 7, 2019 Op-Ed “How British Feminism Became Anti-Trans“ by Sophie Lewis is riddled with lies and misinformation.
What You Can Do
Email the New York Times Editors. Copy other media outlets.
Dear New York Times Editors,
That we are in this age of “alternative facts” does not give license to lie and slander. Your Op-Ed on Feb 7, 2019, “How British Feminism Became Anti-Trans“ by Sophie Lewis is riddled with lies and misinformation. Lewis’ staggering display of ignorance, false ‘history’ and outright lies disqualifies her from writing on this subject.
I expect responsible vetting and fact-checking by the NYT. You didn’t supply it here. A bias is to be expected in an op-ed, but not lies and distortion of history beyond recognition. Read this and this to see just how inaccurate your opinion piece was.
The infractions are too many to name. For a detailed analysis I refer you here. Meanwhile, I give you a few representative examples:
- This train wreck of an ‘op-ed’ begins with Lewis’ inability (unwillingness?) to distinguish between what feminists say and the words she puts in their mouths. She twists Posie Parker’s reference to “this ideology” into “she presumably meant simply being trans.” Quite an erroneous presumption for a major newspaper op-ed.
Lewis continues with:
- an ignorant—or intentionally fabricated—‘history’ of “cultural feminism”
- a despicable acceptance and use of the term TERF as if it were a legitimate word and not the slur used to call for rape, violence and death of women who hold gender critical views.
Then she dishes this out-and-out double-whopper lie which destroys any credibility Lewis or you could think she has:
- in the US “the mainstream media has been alarmingly ready to hear ‘both sides’” of the trans issues
- in Britain, “TERFs have effectively succeeded in framing the question of trans rights entirely around their own concerns: that is, how these rights for others could contribute to ‘female erasure.’ “
Nothing could be further from the truth. US mainstream media ignores feminists concerns about “gender identity” ideology and women in the UK are being interrogated and arrested for saying a man cannot be a woman.
Lewis thinks women have no reason whatsoever to be concerned about the disregard of biological reality and enshrining a feeling as the legal criteria determining one’s sex.
So why didn’t Lewis just come out and say what she means—‘sex should be politically erased’. And, by the way, that would include the erasure she has ridiculed as of no concern—‘female erasure’.
I urge you to vet your op-ed writers for accuracy and responsible reporting. Anything less misinforms the public and causes real harm.
firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, Paula.Zahn2@cnn.com, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, Editors@newsweek.com, WebEditors@newsweek.com, Letters@newsweek.com, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org , email@example.com , firstname.lastname@example.org , email@example.com , firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com , firstname.lastname@example.org , email@example.com , Stephanie.firstname.lastname@example.org , email@example.com , firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com